Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Look Back: Best Picture And Director

Over the next few days, I will be examining my predictions from throughout the year, to see how well I did. We’ll start with the Best Picture and Best Director categories, since I correctly predicted 8 out of 9 (88%) and 5 out of 5 (100%). Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close was the nominee that I missed. I had it predicted in earlier rounds, but moved it down to the tenth spot after it didn’t receive any precursor nominations. It’s also the only Best Picture nominee that I still need to see.

Percentage of Correct Predictions and Close Scores.



While it is tempting to immediately start discussing the role that the new 5% rule for Best Picture played, I think that the field of nine actually feels about the same as the field of ten we’ve had the last two years. Except for this: When I look at the films with the highest nomination count that didn’t make the best picture cut, you get:

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (5)
Harry Potter, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Transformers and Albert Nobbs (3)

Since there are several fan favorites from that group, one begins to wonder whether they would have done well to stick with ten nominees this year to help push up their ratings.

As always, check the Tracker Pages in the upper right hand corner of this blog for the most updated predictions in all categories!
For even more information on how I am doing in each race, and eventually an analysis of each individual race, be sure to check out my Track Record Page.
See Best Picture predictions for all years HERE, and Director predictions HERE.
See predictions for other categories at the 84th Oscars HERE.
Switch to another year: 84th,  85th,  86th,  87th,  88th,  89th  

No comments:

Post a Comment