Note: In my final predictions, I changed my ranking slightly to: 1. Clooney, 2. Dujardin, 3. Pitt, 4. Oldman, 5. Bichir.
I correctly predicted 3 out of 5 of these nominees (60%), with all of the eventual nominees coming from my top 9. I’m a little sad to see Leonardo DiCaprio miss out here (even if many were expecting it), as well as Michael Fassbender (who was much more of a surprise.) I had actually included Gary Oldman in my predicted nominees since April, but moved him to sixth place when he didn’t get any precursor nominations.
1. George Clooney for The Descendants (Predicted Winner) (previous rank 1)
2. Brad Pitt for Moneyball (previous rank 2)
3. Jean Dujardin for The Artist (previous rank 3)
4. Gary Oldman for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (previous rank 6)
5. Demian Bichir for A Better Life (previous rank 9)
For another perspective on this race, see Sati’s analysis.
As always, check the Tracker Pages in the upper right hand corner of this blog for the most updated predictions in all categories!
See how I did with the other categories on my Track Record Page.
See Lead Actor predictions for other years HERE.
Or check out the Lead Actress, Supporting Actor and Supporting Actress predictions.
See predictions for other categories at the 84th Oscars HERE.
Switch to another year: 84th, 85th, 86th, 87th, 88th, 89th