Monday, January 30, 2012

84th Oscar Original Song Updates (1/30/12)

While I had correctly predicted 28 of the 39 songs that made the submission list, I got 0 out of 2 (0%) of the actual nominees. It’s possible that I would have scored better if this were a full category of 5 nominees. It is also possible that I completely misunderstand what the song writers are looking for when they vote, although my suspicion is that I simply underestimated their ability (and apparent desire) to use the ranked average voting system to vote against any song or artist that they don’t like.

I’m thinking that the critical love for The Muppets, along with the existential crisis at the heart of the masculine psychology, will put Bret McKenzie into the winner’s circle, but perhaps the Latino block can come through for Rio the way that the British block has done in the past?

Note that both of the eventual nominees came from within the film itself, rather than the end credits. The links below show the songs in their full context, and therefore contain SPOILERS.



1. Bret McKenzie for “Man Or Muppet” from The Muppets (Predicted Winner) (previous rank 11)
2. Sergio Mendes, Carlinhos Brown and Siedah Garrett for “Real In Rio” from Rio (previous rank 20)


As always, check the Tracker Pages in the upper right hand corner of this blog for the most updated predictions in all categories!
To see how I am doing in each race, check out my Track Record Page.
See Original Song predictions for all years HERE.
If you love music, you might also want to check out the Original Score predictions.
See predictions for other categories at the 84th Oscars HERE.
Switch to another year: 84th,  85th,  86th,  87th,  88th,  89th  

2 comments:

  1. Ahaha yea this looks almost completely random. Man or Muppets is definitely deserving but just a few weeks ago, I thought it was totally lost in the shuffle. Glad it's there though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't too impressed with either of these songs the first time I heard them, especially when compared with some of the other submissions, but I've added them to my playlist and I admit that they are beginning to grow on me.

      Delete