I correctly predicted 4 out of 5 of the foreign language nominees (80%), with the final one being ranked sixth in my previous predictions. It is interesting to note that all five of these films had their premieres at film festivals, and two of them (A Separation and Bullhead) premiered at Berlin, suggesting that next year’s race may begin in earnest in just a few weeks!
As these films are sometimes unknown to the general public, I have included links to each of the trailers, as well as some reviews from my friend Bonjour Tristesse. For those who want to learn more about the foreign film race, I also recommend Dzong2’s blog and Movie-On.
1. Asghar Farhadi for A Separation (Jodaeiye Nader Az Simin) (Iran) (Predicted Winner) (previous rank 1) (Trailer) (Bonjour Tristesse’s Review)
2. Agnieszka Holland for In Darkness (W. Ciemnoscki) (Poland) (previous rank 2) (Trailer) (Bonjour Tristesse's Review)
3. Philippe Falardeau for Monsieur Lazhar (Canada) (previous rank 4) (Trailer) (Bonjour Tristesse's Review)
4. Joseph Cedar for Footnote (Hearat Shulayim) (Israel) (previous rank 5) (Trailer) (Bonjour Tristesse's Review) (Another of my most loyal commenters has also posted a review HERE. It's in Hebrew but check it out if your computer translates.)
5. Michael R. Roskam for Bullhead (Rundskop) (Belgium) (previous rank 6) (Trailer) (Bonjour Tristesse’s Review)
As always, check the Tracker Pages in the upper right hand corner of this blog for the most updated predictions in all categories!
To see how I am doing in each race, check out my Track Record Page.
See Foreign Language predictions for other years HERE.
See predictions for other categories at the 84th Oscars HERE.
Switch to another year: 84th, 85th, 86th, 87th, 88th, 89th
Read My Recent Reviews. Or Read Archived Reviews. Connect With Me On: Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Email, The LAMB
See My Oscar Predictions By Year: 84th, 85th, 86th, 87th, 88th, 89th Or Search By Category Using The Tracker Pages.