Pictured: Cheryl Boone Isaacs is the first African American woman to run a studio marketing department, and the first to serve on the Academy’s Board Of Governors. A member of the Public Relations Branch, she and her colleagues play an essential role in the way that movies are received by the public. It was Isaacs’ team, for example, that decided that the iconic picture of Tom Hanks sitting on a bench should be the key publicity image to represent best picture winner Forrest Gump, a sweeping decades-long historical fiction that could have potentially been received in any number of ways.
As a reminder, Bold font is for confirmed AMPAS members that we are able to document conclusively. Standard font is for confirmed invitees, most of whom presumably accept. Italic font is for those believed to be members, but whose status has not been verified. Read why we are so cautious HERE.
I will be adding more pictures, as well as credits, awards, and of course new names as the project proceeds. And don’t forget to send me recommendations of Oscar voters I may have missed!
- Matthew Iadarola - Being John Malkovich, Mission Impossible 2, (500) Days Of Summer, Drugstore Cowboy, The Men Who Stare At Goats (Sound Branch) (LinkedIn)
- Armando Iannucci - In The Loop (Writers Branch or Directors Branch) (Oscar Nominee)
- Mildred Iatrou - The Green Hornet, The Tree of Life, Walk The Line, Catch Me If You Can, L.A. Confidential, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, The Terminal, Antwone Fisher, The Fast And The Furious (Sound Branch) (June 29, 2012 Academy Invitation List)
- Robert Iger - Chairman, CEO and Former President Of The Walt Disney Co. (Executives Branch) (Oscars.org 6/22/10)
- Alberto Iglesias - Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Kite Runner, The Constant Gardener, The Skin I Live In, Even The Rain, Che, Volver, Talk To Her, All About My Mother (Music Branch) (Oscar Nominee) (June 2006 Academy Invitation List) (June 29, 2012 Academy Invitation List) (NOTE: The double invitation in 2006 and 2012 may mean that he is not interested in joining the Academy)
- John Iltis (Public Relations Branch) (LinkedIn.com)
- Markus Imhoof - The Boat Is Full (Directors Branch Or Writers Branch) (Director of an Oscar Nominated Foreign Film) (TribecaFilm.com)
- William J. Immerman - Ray (Branch Unknown?) (Yari Film Group)
- Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu - Babel, Amores Perros, 21 Grams, Biutiful (Directors Branch) (Oscar Nominee)
- David Inglish (Visual Effects Branch) (Scientific & Technical Committee) (Science & Technology Council) (Oscars.org 5/18/12) (Oscar.go.com 5/18/12) (CreativePlanetNetwork)
- Charles Martin Inouye - Coach Carter, About A Boy, American Pie, X-Men The Last Stand, The Twilight Saga New Moon, A Better Life, Rush Hour 2, 27 Dresses, Along Came Polly, Little Fockers, Tower Heist, Dream House (Music Branch) (June 2004 Academy Invitation List) (WoodysSoundAdvice.com)
- Jeremy Irons - Reversal Of Fortune, The Lion King, Dead Ringers, The French Lieutenant’s Wife, Margin Call, The Mission, Lolita, The Man In The Iron Mask, Kafka, M. Butterfly, The House Of The Spirits, Being Julia, Die Hard With A Vengeance (Actors Branch) (Oscar Winner)
- Amy Irving - Yentl, Carrie, Crossing Delancey, Traffic, HIde And Seek, Deconstructing Harry, Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Actors Branch) (Oscar Nominee)
- John Irving - The Cider House Rules (Writers Branch) (Oscar Winner)
- Cheryl Boone Isaacs - CBI Enterprises, Former Executive Vice President Of Worldwide Publicity At Paramount Pictures, Former President Of Theatrical Marketing At New Line Cinema, Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, The First Wives Club, Ghost, Fatal Attraction, Forrest Gump, Titanic, Braveheart (Public Relations Branch) (2011-2012 Board Of Governors Roster) (Whittier.edu)
- Robert “Bob” Israel - Former CEO of Aspect Ratio, Ace Ventura Pet Detective & When Nature Calls, Bachelor Party (Public Relations Branch) (Angel Vision Investors) (Bio)
- James Ivory - A Room With A View, Howard’s End, The Remains Of The Day, Maurice (Directors Branch) (Oscar Nominee) (NYTimes 3/23/93) (WoodstockFilmFestival 3/2003)
(About) (Origins) (Branch Statistics) (Progress Updates) ( A ) ( B ) ( C ) ( D ) ( E ) ( F ) ( G ) ( H ) ( I ) ( J ) ( K ) ( L ) ( M ) ( N ) ( O ) ( P ) ( Q ) ( R ) ( S ) ( T ) ( U ) ( V ) ( W ) ( X ) ( Y ) ( Z ) (Non-Members)
Know of an Academy member that we have missed? Think we have included someone who shouldn’t be here? The Academy Members Project is a work in progress, and welcomes your input! Additions, suggestions, corrections and verifications may be submitted in the comments section, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.