EDITORS NOTE: These predictions were made in April 2011 and reflect what my thinking was at that time. I have updated my predictions since then, but leave these on the blog for a historical record. For the most updated list of predictions, go to the Tracker Pages in the upper right hand corner of this blog.
Lots of new additions and changed rankings in the 84th Oscar Original Score race. Where possible, I also added the names of the composer instead of simply listing the films. Here are today’s rankings, with previous ranking shown in parenthesis after each entry.
1. Howard Shore for Hugo Cabret (Predicted Winner) (previous rank 1)
2. Alexandre Desplat for The Tree Of Life (previous rank 3)
3. John Williams for The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn (previous rank 5)
4. Cliff Martinez for Contagion (previous rank 2)
5. Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross for The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (previous rank 4)
6. Alexandre Desplat for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (previous rank 6)
7. Howard Shore for A Dangerous Method (previous rank 10)
8. Gustavo Santaoalla for On The Road (previous rank 9)
9. Jonathan Goldsmith for Take This Waltz (previous rank 7)
10. John Williams for War Horse (New)
11. Hans Zimmer for Rango (New)
12. Tom Rowlands and Ed Simons (The Chemical Brothers) for Hanna (New)
13. James Newton Howard for Water For Elephants (New)
14. Michael Giacchino for Super 8 (New)
15. Dario Marianelli for Jane Eyre (New)
16. Alberto Iglesias for The Skin That I Inhabit (previous rank 15)
17. Chris Bacon for Source Code (New)
18. Rachel Portman for One Day (New)
19. Alan Silvestri for Captain America: The First Avenger (New)
20. Mychael Danna for Moneyball (New)
21. John Powell for Happy Feet 2 (New)
22. Patrick Doyle for Thor (New)
23. Garry Gregson Williams for Cowboys & Aliens (New)
24. Hans Zimmer for Kung Fu Panda 2: The Kaboom Of Doom (New)
25. Michael Giacchino for Cars 2 (New)
26. Hans Zimmer for Sherlock Holmes 2: A Game Of Shadows (New)
27. My Week With Marilyn (previous rank 8)
28. We Bought A Zoo (previous rank 11)
29. The Ides Of March (previous rank 12)
30. The Descendants (previous rank 13)
31. J. Edgar (previous rank 14)
32. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (New)
33. Immortals (New)
34. The Muppets (New)
35. The Iron Lady (New)
36. W.E. (New)
As always, check the Tracker Pages in the upper right hand corner of this blog for the most updated predictions in all categories!
See Original Score predictions for other years HERE.
Like words with your music? Check out the Original Song predictions.
See predictions for other categories at the 84th Oscars HERE.
Switch to another year: 84th, 85th, 86th, 87th, 88th, 89th