EDITORS NOTE: These predictions were made in April 2011 and reflect what my thinking was at that time. I have updated my predictions since then, but leave these on the blog for a historical record. For the most updated list of predictions, go to the Tracker Pages in the upper right hand corner of this blog.
Lots of new additions and changed rankings to the 854h Supporting Actor Race. Here are todays rankings, with previous rankings shown in parenthesis after each entry.
1. Viggo Mortensen in A Dangerous Method (Predicted Winner) (previous rank 1)
2. Armie Hammer in J. Edgar (previous rank 4)
3. Christopher Plummer in Beginners (previous rank 3)
4. Laurence Fishburne in Contagion (previous rank 2)
5. Sean Penn in The Tree Of Life (previous rank 5)
6. Terrence Howard in Red Tails (previous rank 6)
7. Kenneth Branagh in My Week With Marilyn (previous rank 9)
8. Philip Seymour Hoffman in The Ides Of March (previous rank 10)
9. Ben Kingsley in Hugo Cabret (previous rank 13)
10. John C. Reilly in We Need To Talk About Kevin (previous rank 11)
11. Jim Broadbent in The Iron Lady (previous rank 12)
12. Gael Garcia Bernal in Tambien La Lluvia (previous rank 14)
13. Jude Law in Contagion (previous rank 16)
14. Garrett Hedlund in On The Road (previous rank 17)
15. Nicholas Bro in War Horse (previous rank 18)
16. Philip Seymour Hoffman in Moneyball (previous rank 26)
17. Blaire Underwood in I Will Follow (previous rank 31)
18. Paul Giamatti in The Ides Of March (previous rank 38)
19. Matt Damon in Contagion (New)
20. Danny Glover in Mooz-lum (previous rank 8)
21. Ben Youcef in From The Rough (previous rank 15)
22. Asa Butterfield in Hugo Cabret (New)
23. George Clooney in The Ides Of March (New)
24. Giovanni Ribisi in The Rum Diary (previous rank 19)
25. Christoph Waltz in Water For Elephants (New)
26. Juan Carlos Aduviri in Tambien La Lluvia (previous rank 20)
27. Benicio Del Toro in The Iceman (previous rank 21)
28. John Hawkes in Martha Marcy May Marlene (previous rank 22)
29. Kal Penn in Bhopal: A Prayer For Rain (previous rank 23)
30. Tom Hardy in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (previous rank 24)
31. Dev Patel in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (previous rank 27)
32. Thomas Hayden Church in Big Eyes (previous rank 28)
33. Michael Clarke Duncan in From The Rough (previous rank 30)
34. Morgan Freeman in Dolphin Tale (previous rank 39)
35. David Thewlis in War Horse (previous rank 42)
36. Christopher Plummer in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (New)
37. Dorian Missick in Mooz-lum (previous rank 25)
38. Simon Russell Beale in The Deep Blue Sea (previous rank 29)
39. Ezra Miller in We Need To Talk About Kevin (previous rank 32)
40. Terrence Howard in Winnie (previous rank 34)
41. Colin Farrell in At Swim-Two Birds (previous rank 41)
42. Johan Hill in Moneyball (New)
43. Michael Parks in Red State (previous rank 33)
44. James Franco in The Iceman (previous rank 35)
45. Roger Guenveur Smith in Mooz-lum (previous rank 36)
46. Tom Felton in From The Rough (previous rank 45)
47. Bill Nighy in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (New)
48. Jeffrey Wright in Source Code (New)
49. Tom Wilkinson in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (New)
50. Robert Bailey Jr. in From The Rough (previous rank 46)
And a few actors who were on my earlier list, but who have been dropped in this ranking: Jonathan Smith and Kunal Sharma for Mooz-lum; Bryan Cranston for Drive, Niels Arestrup for War Horse; Tom Wilkinson for The Conspirator; Justin Chon, Henry Simmons and Paul Hodge for From The Rough; and Dijon Talton for I Will Follow.
As always, check the Tracker Pages in the upper right hand corner of this blog for the most updated predictions in all categories!
See Supporting Actor predictions for other years HERE.
Or check out the Lead Actor, Lead Actress and Supporting Actress predictions.
See predictions for other categories at the 84th Oscars HERE.
Switch to another year: 84th, 85th, 86th, 87th, 88th, 89th