EDITORS NOTE: These predictions were made in April 2011 and reflect what my thinking was at that time. I have updated my predictions since then, but leave these on the blog for a historical record. For the most updated list of predictions, go to the Tracker Pages in the upper right hand corner of this blog.
Lots of new additions and changed rankings in the 84th Oscar Cinematography race. Where possible, I also added the names of the head cinematographer instead of simply listing the films. Here are today’s rankings, with previous ranking shown in parenthesis after each entry.
1. Emmanuel Lubezki for The Tree Of Life (Predicted Winner) (previous rank 1)
2. Eduardo Serra for Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2 (previous rank 2)
3. Richard Richardson for Hugo Cabret (previous rank 4)
4. Eric Gautier for On The Road (previous rank 3)
5. Peter Sushitzky for A Dangerous Method (previous rank 5)
6. Adriano Goldman for Jane Eyre (previous rank 7)
7. Janusz Kaminski for War Horse (previous rank 12)
8. Jeff Cronenweth for The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (previous rank 9)
9. Phedon Papamichael for The Ides Of March (previous rank 6)
10. Jose Luis Alcaine for The Skin That I Inhabit (previous rank 8)
11. Rodrigo Prieto for We Bought A Zoo (previous rank 10)
12. Tom Stern for J. Edgar (New)
13. Chris Blauvelt for Meek’s Cutoff (previous rank 11)
14. Larry Fong for Super 8 (New)
15. Rodrigo Prieto for Water For Elephants (New)
16. Hoyte Van Hoytema for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (New)
17. Contagion (previous rank 13)
18. Phedon Papamichael for The Descendants (previous rank 14)
19. Barry Ackroyd for Coriolanus (New)
20. John Toll for The Adjustment Bureau (previous rank 15)
21. Brendan Galvin for Immortals (New)
22. Wally Pfister for Moneyball (New)
23. Phillipe Rousselot for Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows (New)
24. John Mathieson for X-Men: First Class (New)
25. Dariusz Wolski for The Rum Diary (New)
26. Manuel Alberto Claro for Melancholia (New)
27. Ben Smithard for My Week With Marilyn (New)
28. Don Burgess for Source Code (New)
29. Andrew Lesnie for Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes (New)
30. John Mathieson for Brighton Rock (New)
As always, check the Tracker Pages in the upper right hand corner of this blog for the most updated predictions in all categories!
See Cinematography predictions for other years HERE.
If you’re into cinematography, you might also like Film Editing and Visual Effects.
See predictions for other categories at the 84th Oscars HERE.
Switch to another year: 84th, 85th, 86th, 87th, 88th, 89th