EDITORS NOTE: These predictions were made in May 2011 and reflect what my thinking was at that time. I have updated my predictions since then, but leave these on the blog for a historical record. For the most updated list of predictions, go to the Tracker Pages in the upper right hand corner of this blog.
Lots of new additions and changed rankings in the 84th Oscar Documentary Short race. This category seems more difficult to predict, but here are today’s rankings, with previous ranking shown in parenthesis after each entry.
1. Michael Kuehnert for Save The Farm (Predicted Winner) (previous rank 4)
2. Jason Jakaitis for Mothersbane (previous rank 1)
3. James Spione for Incident In New Baghdad (New)
4. Marta Minorowicz for Kawalek Lata (previous rank 2)
5. Jonathan VanBallenberghe for Guru (New)
6. Elaine Kim for Slaying The Dragon Reloaded: Asian Women In Hollywood And Beyond (previous rank 3)
7. Barbara Hammer for Maya Deren’s Sink (previous rank 5)
8. Arthur C. Smith III for What Do Polar Bears Dream When They’re Dying (New)
9. Susan Danta and Wendy Chandler for Heirlooms (previous rank 8)
10. Aldeen O’Sullivan and Ross Whitaker for Bye Bye Now (New)
11. Sybil Wendler for Once Upon A Rooftop (previous rank 6)
12. Jason van Genderen for The Unspoken (previous rank 9)
13. Ken Paul Rosenthal for Crooked Beauty (New)
14. Dave Monahan for Things Grow (New)
15. Jayan Cherian for Shape Of The Shapeless (New)
16. Nicky Tavares for Fwd: Update On My Life (previous rank 7)
17. Kannan Arunasalam for Kaffir Culture (previous rank 11)
18. Irene Taylor Brodsky for Saving Pelican 895 (New)
19. Gail Dolgin and Robin Fryday for The Barber Of Birmingham: Foot Soldier Of The Civil Rights Movement (New)
20. Dave Porfiri and Linda Duvoisin for We Shall Not Be Moved (New)
21. Theo Rigby for Sin Pais (Without Country) (New)
22. Jeremy Teicher for This Is Us: Video Stories From Senegalese Youth (New)
23. Maria Pesli for Other Women’s Narratives (Afigiseis Allon Gynaikon) (New)
24. Nicholas Corrao and David Haffer for Civil Indigent (New)
25. Anthony Weeks for Imaginary Circumstances (New)
26. Mark Kendall for The Time Machine (New)
27. Wonjung Bae for Vera Klement: Blunt Edge (New)
28. Max Joseph for Saab Story (New)
29. Mike Abela for En El Salon De Las Promesas (New)
30. Tim Hetherington for Diary (New)
31. Clare Major for Feast & Sacrifice (New)
32. Jasminka Letzas for Here (New)
33. Matt Morris for Mr. Happy Man (New)
34. Douglas J. Sloan for John G. Morris-Eleven Frames (New)
35. Jeremy Cohen for After (New)
As always, check the Tracker Pages in the upper right hand corner of this blog for the most updated predictions in all categories!
See Documentary Short predictions for other years HERE.
If you’re into documentaries, you might also like the Documentary Features.
If you’re really into shorts, check out the Animated Shorts and Live Action Shorts.
See predictions for other categories at the 84th Oscars HERE.
Switch to another year: 84th, 85th, 86th, 87th, 88th, 89th