EDITORS NOTE: These predictions were made in May 2011 and reflect what my thinking was at that time. I have updated my predictions since then, but leave these on the blog for a historical record. For the most updated list of predictions, go to the Tracker Pages in the upper right hand corner of this blog.
Lots of new additions and changed rankings in the 84th Oscar Animated Short race. Here are today’s rankings, with previous ranking shown in parenthesis after each entry.
1. Gary Rydstrom for Hawaiian Vacation (Predicted Winner) (previous rank 1)
2. William Joyce and Brandon Oldenburg for The Fantastic Flying Books Of Mr. Morris Lessmore (previous rank 3)
3. David O’Reilly for The External World (previous rank 4)
4. Stevie Wermers for The Ballad Of Nessie (previous rank 2)
5. Michael Please for The Eagleman Stag (previous rank 5)
6. Johannes Welland and Uwe Heidschoetter for The Little Boy And The Beast (Der Kleine Und Das Biest) (previous rank 7)
7. Jean-Claude Rozec for Specky Four-Eyes (previous rank 8)
8. Patrick Jean for Pixels (previous rank 6)
9. Nicolais Matji for La Bruxa (previous rank 9)
10. Kei Oyama for Hand Soap (previous rank 10)
11. Kirsten Lepore for Bottle (previous rank 14)
12. Hendrick Dusollier for Babel (previous rank 13)
13. Izabela Plucinska for Esterhazy (previous rank 11)
14. Pedro Rivero for Birdboy (previous rank 12)
15. Stephen Quay and Timothy Quay for Maska (New)
16. Max Porter and Ru Kuwahata for Something Left, Something Taken (New)
17. David Chai for Enrique Wrecks The World (New)
18. Jason Carpenter for The Renter (New)
19. Dean Fleischer-Camp for Marcel The Shell With Shoes On (previous rank 15)
20. Wendy Chandler and Susan Danta for Heirlooms (previous rank 17)
21. Jon Heder and Nick Peterson for Drained (previous rank 18)
22. The Rauch Brothers for Danny & Annie (New)
23. Emma Magenta for The Gradual Demise Of Phillipa Finch (New)
24. Frames (New)
25. Kelly Wilson for The Snowman (New)
26. James Barfield for Cookie Crooks (New)
27. Tyler J. Kupferer for The Girl And The Fox (New)
28. Melinda Fule for Deviled Eggs (New)
29. Tod Polson for Escape Of The Gingerbread Man (New)
30. Juan Pablo Zaramella for Luminaris (New)
31. Bianca Ansems for Playing Ghost (New)
32. Gabriel Achanzar for The Egg (New)
33. Sanchita Islam and Andy Frain for White Wall (New)
34. Eric Falardeau for Crepuscule (New)
35. Emily Dean for Forget Me Not (New)
36. Simon Cahn and Spike Jonze for Mourir Aupres De Toi (New)
37. Ernie Berger for House Broken (New)
38. Tim Saguinsin for The Fisherman (New)
39. Dawn Brown for Zooland (New)
40. Walter Santucci for Family (New)
41. Sundae Sundae for Mindwash: The Jake Sessions (New)
42. Rob Silvestri for Ormie (New)
43. Christopher Jarvis for The Birds Upstairs (New)
44. Dustin Grella for Prayers For Peace (New)
45. Zachary Booth for Neighborhood Watch (New)
46. David Lynch for I Push A Red Button (New)
47. Tak Hoon Kim for A Purpleman (New)
48. Jack Minghuel Shih for The Life Journey Of Water (New)
49. Gerald Guthrie for The Necessities Of Life (New)
50. Patrick Junghans for Waiting For Yesterday (New)
As always, check the Tracker Pages in the upper right hand corner of this blog for the most updated predictions in all categories!
See Animated Short predictions for other years HERE.
If you’re into animation, you might also like the Animated Features.
If you’re really into shorts, check out the Documentary Shorts and Live Action Shorts.
See predictions for other categories at the 84th Oscars HERE.
Switch to another year: 84th, 85th, 86th, 87th, 88th, 89th