For the past few months, the onslaught of precursor news (to say nothing of the actual nominations themselves) has distracted me from looking even further into my crystal ball towards future years. That ends today, as I begin a new round of predictions for NEXT year’s Oscars.
We start with the Lead Actress race. The last time that I updated this category was in May, and as a result there are some major changes in the rankings, as several films that I previously predicted have been pushed to other years, and new films have been announced. The new front-runner is Helen Hunt, for the Sundance film The Surrogate.
Updates for the other acting categories will go up over the next week, and several of your favorite actresses might show up in the supporting category, so keep checking back.
1. Helen Hunt for The Surrogate (Predicted Winner) (New)
2. Marion Cotillard for Lowlife (New)
3. Meryl Streep for Great Hope Springs (previous rank 21)
4. Sandra Bullock for Gravity (previous rank 50)
5. Keira Knightley for Anna Karenina (previous rank 18)
6. Nicole Kidman for My Wild Life (New)
7. Viola Davis for Won’t Back Down (previous rank 7)
8. Carey Mulligan for The Great Gatsby (previously listed in supporting, rank 16)
9. Laura Linney for Hyde Park On Hudson (previously listed in supporting, rank 8)
10. Virginia Madsen for The Magic Of Belle Isle (previous rank 16 for the role, although the actress has changed)
11. Andrea Riseborough for Shadow Dancer (New)
12. Quvenzhane Wallis for Beasts Of The Southern Wild (New)
13. Helen Mirren for The Door (previously listed in 84th Oscar race, rank 31)
14. Penelope Cruz for Into The World (Venuto Al Mondo) (New)
15. Mary Elizabeth Winstead for Smashed (New)
16. Dakota Fanning for Effie (previous rank 24 for the role, although the actress has changed)
17. Amanda Seyfried for Lovelace (New)
18. Maggie Gyllenhaal for Won’t Back Down (previous rank 13)
19. Emayatzy E. Corinealdi for Middle Of Nowhere (New)
20. Julianne Moore for What Maisie Knew (New)
21. Marion Cotillard for Rust & Bone (New)
22. Kristen Wiig for Imogene (New)
23. Rachel McAdams for Untitled Terrence Malick Project (formerly The Burial) (previously ranked 30)
24. Maggie Smith for Quartet (previous rank 15)
25. Abbie Cornish for The Girl (previously ranked 40)
26. Gwyneth Paltrow for Thanks For Sharing (New)
27. Michelle Williams for Take This Waltz (previously listed in 84th Oscar race, rank 28)
28. Diane Keaton for Darling Companion (previous rank 17)
29. Sanaa Lathan for Macbett: The Caribbean Macbeth (previous rank 3)
30. Elizabeth Olsen for Liberal Arts (New)
31. Judi Dench for Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (previously listed in 84th Oscar supporting race, rank 47)
32. Naomi Watts for The Impossible (previously listed in 84th Oscar race, rank 42)
33. Mia Wasikowska for Stoker (previously ranked 38)
34. Ziyi Zhang for The Grandmasters (previous rank 10)
35. Brit Marling for The East (New)
36. Melanie Lynskey for Hello I Must Be Going (New)
37. Winona Ryder for The Stare (New)
38. Emily Blunt for Salmon Fishing In The Yemen (previously listed in 84th Oscar supporting race, rank 37)
39. Scarlett Johansson for Under The Skin (New)
40. Judy Davis for The Eye Of The Storm (New)
41. Naomi Watts for Sunlight Jr. (New)
42. Rachel Weisz for The Deep Blue Sea (previously listed in 84th Oscar race, rank 27)
43. Jordin Sparks for Sparkle (previously listed in 87th Oscar, rank 8 for the role, although the actress has changed)
44. Jannifer Lawrence for The Hunger Games (previous rank 47)
45. Taraji P. Henson for From The Rough (previously listed in 84th Oscar race, rank 8)
46. Cameron Diaz for Gambit (previously ranked 41)
47. Mary J. Blige for Nina (previous rank 23)
48. Amy Adams for Trouble With The Curve (New)
49. Julianne Moore for The English Teacher (New)
50. Annette Bening for Hemingway & Fuentes (previous rank 30)
As always, check the Tracker Pages in the upper right hand corner of this blog for the most updated predictions in all categories!
See Lead Actress predictions for other years HERE.
Or check out the Lead Actor, Supporting Actor and Supporting Actress predictions.
See predictions for other categories at the 85th Oscars HERE.
Switch to another year: 84th, 85th, 86th, 87th, 88th, 89th