Tuesday, January 24, 2012

84th Oscar Lead Actress Updates (1/25/12)

I correctly predicted 4 out of 5 of these ladies (80%), with all five landing in my previous top 7. After her SAG win, I believe that Viola Davis has this locked up, but there is always a chance that Meryl Streep or (less likely) Michelle Williams could surprise.



1. Viola Davis in The Help (Predicted Winner) (previous rank 1)
2. Meryl Streep in The Iron Lady (previous rank 2)
3. Michelle Williams in My Week With Marilyn (previous rank 3)
4. Glenn Close in Albert Nobbs (previous rank 4)
5. Rooney Mara in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (previous rank 7)

For an excellent article on the nominees, as well as the many fine performances that were snubbed, see Candice’s analysis.

As always, check the Tracker Pages in the upper right hand corner of this blog for the most updated predictions in all categories!
See how I did with the other categories on my Track Record Page.
See Lead Actress predictions for other years HERE.
Or check out the Lead Actor, Supporting Actor and Supporting Actress predictions.
See predictions for other categories at the 84th Oscars HERE.
Switch to another year: 84th,  85th,  86th,  87th,  88th,  89th  

8 comments:

  1. I still pick Meryl Streep for the win. But the SAG is this Sunday , and the members got The Iron Lady DVD too a few days earlier, so i think Streep can win also there too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meryl's a real contender for sure. If she wins the SAG, I am going to have to think long and hard about changing that prediction!

      Delete
    2. Have you seen The Iron Lady? You said you're going to see the movie in a few days.

      Delete
    3. I have seen it and liked it, and Meryl was astounding. Just slow in finishing my review, what with all the nomination excitement and such.

      Delete
  2. I think it's the best performance of the year. But i also like Viola Davis in the Help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As usual I think it will come down to the narrative that develops about whose time it is. To be honest, I do think that this is Meryl's best performance in years, so I would be totally fine with her winning for it.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure Meryl is great in The Iron Lady but to be honest, I'm kind of getting tired that she gets so much acclaim all the time over the last couple decades lol. I'm pulling for Viola Davis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have often wondered whether they should put a cap on the number of nominations you can get. I mean, how many times do they have to tell John Williams that they love him?

      Most of the time I tend to agree with the Meryl nominations, but there have been a few years in the past where I thought it was just the result of lazy voting. This year, though, she definitely earned it on the merits.

      Delete