Monday, July 4, 2011

What I Saw: The Tree Of Life (84th Oscar Race)

EDITORS NOTE: These predictions were made in July 2011 and reflect what my thinking was at that time.  I have updated my predictions since then, but leave these on the blog for a historical record. For the most updated list of predictions, go to the Tracker Pages in the upper right hand corner of this blog.

What I Saw: The Tree Of Life

Oscar Chances:

Cinematography: Emmanuel Lubezki (currently ranked 1)
Art Direction: Jack Fisk and Jeanette Scott (currently ranked 1)
Visual Effects (currently ranked 2)
Best Picture (currently ranked 3)
Sound Editing (currently ranked 4, likely to drop in the next set of predictions)
Best Director: Terrence Malick (currently ranked 5)
Supporting Actor: Brad Pitt (currently ranked 5)
Supporting Actress: Jessica Chastain (currently ranked 6)
Original Screenplay: Terrence Malick (currently ranked 6)
Lead Actor (currently ranked 6, although this may change with the next predictions since I think he should go supporting)
Film Editing: Hank Corwin, Jay Rabinowitz, Daniel Rezende, Billy Weber and Mark Yoshikawa (currently ranked 7)
Sound Mixing (currently ranked 15, but may rise in the next set of predictions)
Costume Design: Jacqueline West (currently ranked 20)
Makeup (currently ranked 20)
Original Song: Alexandre Desplat (currently ranked 20, but that will change with the next predictions because I don’t think there were any eligible songs in the film)
Supporting Actor: Hunter McCracken (currently ranked 28. I may also consider adding him to the lead category in future posts, but am not sure)

Two Absences of Note:

Sean Penn was listed as a supporting actor in some of my old lists, but I’m no longer predicting him as I don’t think his part is big enough to garner recognition, especially given the internal competition from Pitt and McCracken. I could be wrong though!

Alelxandre Desplat’s score was listed in some of my old lists, but I read that Desplat himself has said that there isn’t enough of the score used in the film to garner awards attention. His word, combined with the familiar (and therefore ineligible) hymns that I heard in the movie, means that I’ve left him off of the rankings for now.

As always, check the Tracker Pages in the upper right hand corner of this blog for the most updated predictions in all categories!

Read more of my reviews HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment