Saturday, December 3, 2011

84th Oscar Animated Short Updates (12/3/11)

This is my first year doing Oscar predictions online, and I have to admit that the sudden jolt with which the race speeds up caught me a bit off guard, between the onslaught of late releases and the immediacy of the first precursors being announced.

The Animated Shorts category moved especially quickly this year, moving from the submission phase to the short list before I was able to finish an entry in between. Nevertheless, of the 45 submissions I correctly predicted 14 and am giving myself partial credit for two more --La Luna, which I had predicted for next year’s Oscars, and The Vermeers, which I had ranked highly but mis-categorized as a live action short, giving me a 33% prediction rate for the submission phase. For the Shortlist, I didn’t do nearly as well. I predicted 1 correctly (and am again giving myself partial credit for La Luna), giving me a 15% prediction rate. However, 5 of the films were on my longer list (50%). You can see how I’m doing in the other races on my Tracker Record Page.

The best news, however, is that the film that I have been predicting to win since July (and been predicting to get nominated since April) made the cut, so I’m going to hold on tight and hope that The Fantastic Flying Books Of Mr. Morris Lessmore ends up taking home gold. If it does, I’m pretty sure that I will have been the earliest online site to have called it!

Here are today’s rankings for the 84th Oscar Animated Short race, with previous ranking shown in parenthesis after each entry.



1. William Joyce and Brandon Oldenburg for The Fantastic Flying Books Of Mr. Morris Lessmore (Predicted Winner) (previous rank 1)
2. Enrico Casarosa for La Luna (previously ranked 4)
3. Amanda Forbis and Wendy Tilby for Wild Life (New)
4. Jean-Claude Rozec for Specky Four-Eyes (previous rank 12)
5. Damian Nenow for Paths Of Hate (previous rank 31)



Alternates:
6. Juan Pablo Zaramella for Luminaris (previous rank 45)
7. Patrick Doyon for Dimanche (Sunday) (New)
8. Grant Orchard for A Morning Stroll (New)
9. Matt O’Callaghan for I Tawt I Taw A Puddy Tat (New)
10. Martin Clapp for The Magic Piano (New)



As always, check the Tracker Pages in the upper right hand corner of this blog for the most updated predictions in all categories!
See Animated Short predictions for other years HERE.
If you’re into animation, you might also like the Animated Features.
If you’re really into shorts, check out the Documentary Shorts and Live Action Shorts.
See predictions for other categories at the 84th Oscars HERE.
Switch to another year: 84th,  85th,  86th,  87th,  88th,  89th  

No comments:

Post a Comment