Ok. I admit it. I have included a “No Guts, No Glory” prediction for this category in the form of Ann Dowd’s performance in Compliance. My only rationale, aside from the reviews she has received, is that there are a great many members of the actors branch who understand what a nomination would mean to her, which is something that can’t be said of the other top contenders in this category who have already been welcomed into the nominations circle before.
More importantly, the supporting categories were originally created to spotlight the work of career actors exactly like Dowd, as opposed to superstars who happen to have a slightly smaller role than one or two other characters in their film. So even if the role in Compliance is more of a leading one, a nomination for her would actually be a return to form and a victory for all those Academy members who have been overlooked in the past.
1. Anne Hathaway for Les Miserables (Predicted Winner)
2. Sally Field for Lincoln
3. Helen Hunt for The Sessions
4. Amy Adams for The Master
5. Ann Dowd for Compliance
6. Judi Dench for Skyfall
7. Nicole Kidman for The Paperboy
8. Maggie Smith for Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
9. Samantha Barks for Les Miserables
10. Kerry Washington for Django Unchained
11. Jacki Weaver for Silver Linings Playbook
12. Emma Watson for The Perks Of Being A Wallflower
13. Lorraine Toussaint for Middle Of Nowhere
14. Kelly Reilly for Flight
15. Jennifer Ehle for Zero Dark Thirty
16. Pauline Collins for Quartet
17. Amanda Seyfried for Les Miserables
18. Rosemarie DeWitt for Your Sister’s Sister
19. Brit Marling for Sound Of My Voice
20. Frances McDormand for Promised Land
21. Susan Sarandon for Arbitrage
22. Isabelle Huppert for Amour
23. Doona Bae for Cloud Atlas
24. Olivia Colman for Hyde Park On Hudson
25. Olivia Williams for Hyde Park On Hudson
As always, check the Tracker Pages in the upper right hand corner of this blog for the most updated predictions in all categories!
See Supporting Actress predictions for other years HERE.
Or check out the Lead Actor, Lead Actress and Supporting Actor predictions.
See predictions for other categories at the 85th Oscars HERE.
Switch to another year: 85th, 86th, 87th, 88th, 89th