Wednesday, September 14, 2011

New Poll: What Should I See Next?

I thought it might be fun to start a new feature on this blog, giving my readers a chance to weigh in on which new movie I should see next. Each week I’ll give a list of films that might be showing in my area, and that I haven’t seen, and you let me know in the comments section which one you’d recommend. I can’t guarantee that I’ll always follow your recommendations, especially since I usually go to the movies with a friend who also gets to vote (or a veto), but it might be interesting to see where our tastes converge. And of course, whichever movie I do see will get a review the following week.

Last week I saw Contagion (review can be read HERE.)

This Week’s Options:

3 (Drei); 30 Minutes Or Less; Apollo 18; Captain America: The First Avenger; Circumstance

Cold Fish; Colombiana; Drive; The Future; The Guard

Happy Happy; Higher Ground; I Don’t Know How She Does It; Our Idiot Brother; Point Blank

Restless; Sarah’s Key; Senna; Straw Dogs; Warrior

If your favorite movie isn’t here, feel free to recommend it anyway. It’s possible that it is not showing in my area, or that I have already seen it, but it’s also possible that you’ll become my new best friend for having recommended something new.

12 comments:

  1. What about "Contagion"? From the movies that are out now, this is the one with the Biggest Oscar bait. I haven’t seen him because he didn't arrive to Israel yet, But i noticed that it became one of the most critically acclaimed films of 2011, and therefore he got a lot of nominations in my next predictions, which I’m working on right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anon. I saw Contagion last weekend and hope to have a review up soon. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that it will actually deliver on very many nominations. The cast is fine, but there isn't really anyone who stood out for me. And while there were moments when the cinematography and film editing were great, along with the screenplay, I didn't like the ending very much, and I think that will keep it out of the best picture race. But I could be wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to see Drive, The Guard, Higher Ground, Our Idiot Brother and Warrior so I would be very interested in your opinion on those films.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say Drive. I hope to check it out on Friday but it might wait until next Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. With the ridiculously great reviews I will be interested is hearing your opinion on Drive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great picks! Drive is definitely up there for me, along with Warrior.

    So many of these look good at the moment, so I have to keep reminding myself that the prestige films are coming out soon and that I need to pace myself.

    I'm so pleased that no one tried to get me to see Bucky Larson! I would have totally closed down this poll if that had happened.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, definitely Drive or Warrior

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Kent. We're currently thinking Warrior this weekend, since it's been out longer and I want the review to be somewhat fresh, with Drive on the top of the list for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd go with Cap, it was the summer surprise for me. Way better than Thor and X-men first Class.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joel, I saw that you've got it listed as #1 for the summer. I want to see it, but I must have been doing something else the weeks that it came out, and despite the fact that it's been in theaters much longer than the other superhero films, it always seems like something else feels more urgent. For me, I think it would go one of two ways. Either I'd get mad at the old-time feel, or love it for it's serious camp appeal. I may move it up the list based on your recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I get if you want to focus on films having a better shot at the big Oscar categories. Cap might be nominated in some tech categories but thats it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, I do see a lot of films that aren't big Oscar contenders too, particularly during the early and mid part of the year. I'll definitely check out Cap at some point.

    ReplyDelete