Today’s updates come from the world of costume design. I have emphasized period pieces in this round of predictions, as the Academy tends to focus on those, but I did allow myself the luxury of a few fantasy and contemporary choices. Personally, I am hoping that Cloud Atlas surprises, as its story is set in six different time periods spanning the historical, contemporary and fantasy eras. Talk about one stop shopping!
This is one category where early releases can sometimes survive, so you can’t count out Colleen Atwood for Dark Shadows or a posthumous nomination for Eiko Ishioka in Mirror Mirror. On the other hand, The Artist won last year, proving that those late release best picture contenders shouldn’t be taken for granted either.
One word of warning: I have discovered that most men’s suits look pretty much the same to me, so my rankings for things like Lincoln, The Gangster Squad, Argo and The Master may need to be taken with a grain of salt.
1. Catherine Martin for The Great Gatsby (Predicted Winner) (previous rank 24)
2. Jacqueline Durran for Anna Karenina (previous rank 6)
3. Eiko Ishioka for Mirror Mirror (New)
4. Paco Delgado for Les Miserables (New)
5. Christian Gasc and Valerie Ranchoux for Farewell My Queen (Les Adieus A La Reine) (New)
6. Pierre-Yves Gayraud for Cloud Atlas (previous rank 1)
7. Colleen Atwood for Dark Shadows (previous rank 9)
8. Ann Maskrey and Richard Taylor for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (previous rank 42)
9. Untitled Yang Guifei Project (previous rank 5)
10. Joanna Johnston for Lincoln (previous rank 12)
11. Ruth Myers for Effie (previous rank 10)
12. Mary Zophres for Gangster Squad (New)
13. Kasia Walicka-Maimone for Moonrise Kingdom (previous rank 39)
14. Jacqueline West for Argo (New)
15. Jillian Kreiner for Savannah (previous rank 2)
16. Mark Bridges for The Master (New)
17. Arjun Bhasin for Life Of Pi (previous rank 3)
18. Steven Noble for Wuthering Heights (previously listed in 84th Oscar race, rank 25)
19. Peter Paul for Great Expectations (previous rank 28)
20. Odile Dicks-Mireaux for Bel Ami (previously listed in 84th Oscar race, rank 50)
21. Low Life (Untitled James Gray Project) (New)
22. Danny Glicker for On The Road (previously listed in 84th Oscar race, rank 30)
23. Milena Canonero for Macbett: The Caribbean Macbeth (previous rank 4)
24. Dinah Collin for Hyde Park On Hudson (previous rank 25)
25. Sharen Davis for Django Unchained (New)
26. Keith Madden for The Woman In Black (previous rank 43)
27. Manon Rasmussen for A Royal Affair (En Kongelig Affaere) (New)
28. Dangerous Liaisons (New)
29. Olga Michalowska for The Absinthe Drinkers (previous rank 27)
30. Colleen Atwood for Snow White And The Huntsman (New)
31. Margot Wilson for Wettest County (previous rank 29)
32. Terry Ryan for The Eye Of The Storm (previously listed in 84th Oscar race, rank 41)
33. Inside Llewyn Davis (New)
34. Judianna Makovsky for The Hunger Games (previous rank 50)
35. Carlo Poggiolli for The Raven (previous rank 40)
36. Winnie (previously listed in 84th Oscar race, rank 31)
37. Ruth E. Carter for Sparkle (previously listed in 87th Oscar race, rank 1)
38. William Chang for The Grandmasters (Yut Doi Jung Si) (previous rank 16)
39. Hemingway & Fuentes (previous rank 22)
40. Black Gold (previously listed in 84th Oscar race, rank 48)
41. Lindy Hemming for The Dark Knight Rises (previous rank 45)
42. Yee Chung-Man and Lai Hsuan-Wu for Flying Swords Of Dragon Gate (Long Men Fei Jia) (New)
43. Jake Collier for Iron Sky (New)
44. Penny Rose for 47 Ronin (previous rank 23)
45. Virginie Montel for Rust And Bone (De Rouille Et D’Os) (New)
46. Varvan Avdyushko and Carlo Poggiolli for Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (New)
47. Guo Pei for The Monkey King (Da Nao Tian Gong) (previous rank 33)
48. Sonia Grande for To Rome With Love (New)
49. Rita Ryack for Rock Of Ages (New)
50. Alexandra Byrne for The Avengers (previous rank 30)
As always, check the Tracker Pages in the upper right hand corner of this blog for the most updated predictions in all categories!
See Costume Design predictions for other years HERE.
If you’re into costumes, you might also like Art Decoration and Makeup.
See predictions for other categories at the 85th Oscars HERE.
Switch to another year: 84th, 85th, 86th, 87th, 88th, 89th
Read My Recent Reviews. Or Read Archived Reviews. Connect With Me On: Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Email, The LAMB
See My Oscar Predictions By Year: 84th, 85th, 86th, 87th, 88th, 89th Or Search By Category Using The Tracker Pages.