Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Nominated For Three LAMMY Awards!!!

The LAMMY Awards have announced their nominees, and I was honored to have been among the chosen in three different categories: Best Festival And Awards Coverage, Most Prolific, and Best Community Builder/Networking Lamb.

As you might expect, I have been bombarded with offers from clothing designers wanting me to wear them on the red carpet. Plus, I had to change all my business cards to read “Three Time Lammy Nominated Never Too Early Movie Predictions”. But before I hit the interview circuit, I want to take a moment to thank all of you wonderful folks who nominated me, and to congratulate all the nominees in all the categories.

I also want to thank my agent and my publicist, who says that I need to immediately begin my For Your Consideration campaign. With that in mind, here are some reasons that you might want to turn those three nominations into three wins.

Best Festival and Awards Coverage.

My Fellow Nominees:
Big Thoughts From A Small Mind
Bonjour Tristesse
Cinematic Paradox
The Matinee
Never Too Early Movie Predictions

These are all great blogs, with some amazing festival and awards coverage. I really encourage people to check them out. For my part, I have been known to occasionally dedicate parts of my blog to the Oscars, and the Academy that hands them out. Some say that I am obsessed with them, but since this is a For Your Consideration post I’m going to talk about my “Unwavering Dedication” instead. In addition to standards such as acting and best picture, I also provide information on the documentaries, the short films, and the technical categories. Last year, I posted links to the trailers for many of the short films, links to all the submitted songs for you to listen to, and even dedicated a post to laying out the difference between Sound Editing and Sound Mixing.  If that weren’t enough already, I would draw your attention to my Oscar Calendar, which also highlights film festivals throughout the year; The Academy Members Project, which seeks to identify and celebrate as many Oscar voters as possible, and the fact that all of my movie reviews end with a discussion of the film’s Oscar chances, even when I’m reviewing Harold & Kumar. Shouldn’t the Lammy for Best Awards Coverage go to someone who can boast this level of Obsession Unwavering Dedication?

Most Prolific.

My Fellow Nominees:
Andy Buckle's Film Emporium
Anomalous Material
Fogs' Movie Reviews
The Matinee
Never Too Early Movie Predictions

These are some of the most hopping movie sites on the web, and I’m really honored to be in their company. When I think about campaigning for this award, it is tempting to start tallying up the number of posts I have published (436), the number of Oscar categories I have made predictions for (119), the number of Academy members I have identified so far (1,904 and counting), or the number of hours I spend researching some of the lesser known films to include for your consideration. But the number that I really want you focused on is the total number of authors, designers, editors, collaborators and researchers this site has, which is exactly one (1). Even my aforementioned agents, publicists, clothing designers and business card printers are really just extra voices in my head. Granted, it would probably be smarter for me to recruit a team of associates, a roundtable of visiting experts, a co-host to keep me warm at night, or even just a few guest posts to have a fling with. But in the meantime, how about showing some love for the lonely insomniac who researches Academy members and movies set to be released in 2017 when he has trouble sleeping?

Best Community Builder/Networking Lamb.

My Fellow Nominees:
Anomalous Material
Deny Everything
Fogs' Movie Reviews
Man, I Love Films
Never Too Early Movie Predictions

This is a new award just created this year, and I am actually quite humbled to be in consideration for this category. I’m an introvert in real life and terribly shy, so the idea that I am even part of a community, much less someone who helps to “build” one, is a little overwhelming. Especially when I consider that my fellow nominees include two head “Shepherds” of The LAMB, as well as two other folks who are some of the nicest bloggers I’ve met and who are famous for their conversational style. Still, it may be that my peers have recognized something that I myself may be underestimating. Perhaps being shy allows me to read more carefully, so that when I do comment on blogs I am writing with a deeper intention that comes through. Perhaps being an introvert actually makes me a valuable resource to welcome new members of the community who aren’t ready to jump right into the deep end. Or perhaps the social networks that hold us all together work in multiple ways, and my personality offers an alternate path for people to connect with each other. Either way, I’d be honored to accept your vote!

How To Vote.

You can hear all the suspense of the nomination ceremony over at the LAMBcast, or read the full list of nominees in all fifteen categories courtesy of Sam at Duke And The Movies.

Voting runs from now until June 17, and you can find the link for it HERE. Note that just as you must be an Academy Member to vote for the Oscars, so too must you be a member of The LAMB to vote for the LAMMYs. If you have a movie blog but are not yet a member, I would encourage you to JOIN THE LAMB today so that you’ll be able to vote for me next year. It’s also a pretty cool place to hang out even when they aren’t handing you awards!
.

31 comments:

  1. Massive congratulations. It's all terribly exciting! Can't wait for the voting to begin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaina! I think it's a lot of fun to watch everyone campaign, and have found a lot of really great blogs as the result of voting, even if they didn't all make the final lists.

      Delete
  2. Don't worry, you have my vote for Best Awards Coverage! Well done on the noms :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stevee! Although I think that Happy Fassy would want you to vote for yourself in that category!

      Delete
  3. You're SHY? LOL.

    :D News to me buddy, you hide it well!!

    I just now realized you didnt get nominated for Best New Lamb. You was robbed!

    This was a great post, I plan to do something along these lines myself. Good thinking to get it up early, too. Wanna wish you the best of luck, even where we're head to head, man. You're a solid dude, and a great Lammie, so you deserve all the props and accolades you get! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, in real life I'm almost a hermit. But the good thing about the internet is that I can compose my thoughts and get them exactly right before I respond to anything, which gives me a little more confidence.

      I'm really happy with the nominations that I got, and think it's great that some of the newer Lambs got a chance in that category. All very well deserved.

      I look forward to your FYC posts and hope that me being early doesn't give away all of my campaign secrets! It is going to be really hard to campaign though because all of the blogs I'm up against are so good.

      Delete
    2. Just have to have fun with it, that's what my plan is. I'm going to campaign hard (because to me, that's very fun) and then no matter what happens, at least I did it right along the way. :D

      Delete
    3. Glad that you're taking this approach to it Fogs. It will help me not feel guilty if I somehow manage to steal the two categories where we're up against each other. Muahahaha!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! Your awards covarage simply has to win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sati. I was happy to see Cinematic Corner get nominated for some pretty big awards too!

      Delete
  5. Congrats on some very well deserved nominations, I'd have you pinned down for best newbie LAMB as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shep! I'm really excited to be in the company of some greats in these categories!

      Delete
  6. It's interesting to hear how you're an introvert. I'm also extremely introverted away from the computer screen and am also on the Lamb welcoming committee. Congrats on the noms and good luck in the finale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bubbawheat! As I mentioned, I do think that us introverts can provide a particular skill set for the Welcome Committee, and maybe a special passion for it too. I think it has something to do with understanding how hard it can be for some folks to break into the crowd, even when it is a very welcoming crowd!

      Delete
    2. I love this discussion... you guys are awesome and it would be totally cool if you hermits could join the LAMB meetup!

      Delete
    3. If we make it, we may need to have a special session of the introvert's support group... where we each go our separate ways for an hour or so. Hahaha!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations. I'm happy to be battling for runner-up in the most important category.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks Bonjour! As you know I love your site and am so pleased to have your endorsement!

      Delete
  8. Bubba, NTEMP: You guys should really try to make it to the LAMB meetup in Vegas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got the meetup on my calendar for sure. The only challenge is that my sister is getting married next year. Not the same weekend, of course, but it does mean that I need to juggle my vacation days as well as my budget to make sure that everything fits. Still, I'm hoping to make it!

      Delete
  9. Very well deserved! Congratulations and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete! You've been a great supporter of my Academy Members Project, and I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  10. Congrats for your nominations! Quite an achievement in your first year :) May the best one wins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andina! Hope I can count on your support!

      Delete
  11. Congrats on the nominations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Huge congratulations on your nominations! I certainly hope to see you win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex! I am hoping to see it too!

      I do think my best chances are in the Festival/Awards category, since that's basically what I do all year round. But I'm going to campaign in all three and see how it goes!

      Delete